Fallout: New Vegas lead designer J.E. Sawyer has reworked the balance of Obsidian’s post-apocalyptic RPG, making changes to fit his own preference. Intriguingly, these changes come in a mod of Sawyer’s making, not any official patch. He explained why he has it as a mod and not a patch:
The short technical reason is “.esm inter-dependencies” and “load order errors”. Sorry.
In addition to technical reasons, some of the mechanics changes make the game significantly more difficult (base health / stim changes) or at least more of a hassle (carry weight, stims having weight, H2O/SLP/FOD rate increase). I’d rather have people opt-in to those changes than make them the default in a patch.
Finally, the game’s over. The ship has sailed. No one is working on it anymore. No testers, nothing. This mod is just me working in my free time. If I horribly botch something, you can just un-check the mod and go on your way.
The mod requires all New Vegas DLC installed, including former pre-order bonus packs. To top that off, you’ll need Fallout Mod Manager or the like. Wondering where you can get all that? An Ultimate Edition of New Vegas comes out on February 7 for North American and February 10 for Europe, complete with all of its DLC. In case you forgot all the DLC, they are: Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, Courier’s Stash, and the Gun Runners’ Arsenal.
To see all the changes in the mod, and the mod link, see past the break!
Sawyer explains the mod:
It’s not done yet, but when I’m done, anyone can download it. It’s mostly general balance adjustments I couldn’t do for various technical/time reasons, plus some general “make the Hardcore game harder” adjustments. I’ve made a couple hundred adjustments, but the most significant are probably:
* Max level with all DLCs installed is 35.
* XP rate is halved.
* Base player health is quartered and level-gained health is reduced by 25%.
* Base Carry Weight from 150 to 50 (related perks/things have also been adjusted).
* Energy Weapon ammo weighs less than its nearest equivalent Guns ammo.
* Energy Weapon durability is in the same ballpark as Guns durability.
* Medium Armor has a small amount of DR proportional to its DT.
* Heavy Armor has even more DR proportional to its DT.
* Power Armor does not require a perk, but if you have the perk, the weight of the armor is essentially negated.
* Karma/Alignment values adjusted all over.
* H2O/FOD/SLP rates doubled, but the first threshold is moved from 200 to 400 (statuses roll over ever 150 after).
* Water and Food drop rates on NPCs is dramatically lower. It is difficult to stay out of Dehydration/Starvation by looting enemies.
* Water/Nuka-Cola/Sunset Sarsaparilla heal much less, but now all restore H2O (alcohols will as well, but at lowered values).
* Default Stimpaks are uncommon. A new variant, Stimpak, Expired is the default. It is not that great.
* The player’s Workbench recipe now makes Stimpak, Homemade. It is better than Expired, worse than default Stimpaks, and has the PE penalty from Healing Powder.
* All Stimpaks have weight.
* Pre-Order items have been adjusted to be more well-balanced and not worth that much if you rush to Chet’s to trade them in.
* A bunch of fixes I couldn’t make during development because of load order conflicts, time, etc. E.g.: Automatic Rifle spread re-adjustment, putting the Police Pistol on the Cowboy List, Bozar on Grunt, Junk Rounds are now actual ammo variants you can make, etc.
* Some other stuff.
You can download the tiny 88KB mod direct from Sawyer.